Today there are a lot of different job options out there. However, one that you might not have considered is the job of a security guard. Many businesses need security, including: local businesses, casinos, hospitals, banks, bars, airports, stores, retirement homes, and more. Hiring security guards to help protect their assets can be very important when these businesses have thousands of dollars of equipment or product at their location. Depending on what type of business you end up working with you will have a wide variety of tasks as a security guard. This is why it is important to be familiar with both local and state security regulations and laws.
Being a security guard can be a very fulfilling position to work as. Here are some of the top reasons that you might want to consider training to be a security guard.
1. Low barrier of entry: one of the best things about getting a job as a security guard is that it does not take long to complete the necessary training. Instead of years of education you will simply need to complete an 8 or 16 hour course about basic security. There are more options as you go along for training to increase your pay; but the fact that you can start right away is great.
In the Columbus, OH area, click below to learn more
2. Good stepping stone to future career: once you have secured your position as a security guard you can use it to advance your career. Whether you plan for a job in law enforcement or are simply using it as a quick job to get in order to pay your way through college, being a security guard is a fun and fulfilling job.
3. Responsibility with little supervision: it is your job to protect the business that you are assigned to. More than likely you will not have a supervisor around throughout your shift. So if you like to be personally accountable for the work that you do then a security guard position would be perfect for you.
4. You get to protect people and property: beyond the obvious benefits of the job as a security guard you are also responsible for protecting the people and property of your company. This means that you can take pride in your work and in the knowledge that people are depending on you. Satisfaction at work will make your career much more enjoyable.
5. Security experience is a dependable fallback option: no matter what you decide to do with your life you will always have your experience as a security guard to depend on. At any point you can easily renew your security license and get a job. It is a skill that you will keep for the rest of your life.
According to Jackie Paulson, a Chicago area security officer “It’s [security guard] a great stepping stone job to get to where you want to go in your career.”